Unspoken Conversations are the topics that are often swept under the carpet, whispered amongst the closest of friends and bitched about by many. I want to create awareness about difficult things that people face in life; grief, mental health, money, illnesses, family troubles, relationship difficulties and putting yourself first. I want to tell the truth about things that really matter.

Tuesday 5 May 2015

Why I'll Never Choose to Work Full Time Again

What I really wanted was more time.

I was forever saying "there's never enough hours in a day", "there has to be more to life than this!"

This being rolling out of bed blurry eyed to the sound of my alarm clock that came all too quickly, grumbling good morning to my husband, running on auto pilot during my forever rushed morning routine because I could never bring myself to set my alarm 15 minutes earlier to be more organized.

Jumping in my car and rushing to work with toast still in my mouth,  feeling disheveled already

Then walking into the office forcing a big smile on my face while turning on my time to be professional, life's full of rainbows, time to leave behind my personal troubles, bright and bubbly customer service face for the day.

Of course, when lunch breaks came around it was my time to shine while I crammed in a papsmear at the doctors, filled a script at the chemist and grabbed some food to fill our bear cupboards, all which could only be done during this precious hour of "chaos" so I could appear somewhat organized and functional in my life that existed outside of work.

Then back to work to finish off the afternoon shift before jumping in my car, needing match sticks to keep my eyes open, and traveling the 40 minute commute home before barging in the door and having a go at my husband for not having anything out for tea!

Oh yes, the fights we'd have over the silliest of things because we were both exhausted from our days and now, had to somewhere pull energy out of our empty tanks to try and muster up a conversation that you know, keeps your marriage intact while chopping vegies,  defrosting meat and cooking a feast at 630pm (on the nights we had home) or running in the door as your husband is running out to football practice while your scramble together your things so you can attempt to keep fit, be involved and have it all!

So yes, I decided that enough was enough.

I wanted to enjoy Christmas shopping, instead of spending my lunch times huffing and puffing about there being no parks, and I only have an hour and now there's only 40 minutes left and the queues are always so long and omg the bow was right the first time on the gift wrapping.

I wanted to potter while doing the shopping, instead of flying in the door 5 minutes before closing time to grab another 2 minute meal deal!

I wanted to have time to prepare and cook yummy meals that were nutritious, authentic and out of the ordinary instead of our usual spag bog!

I wanted to be able to serve my husband, and to have a clean house and delicious smelling meal on the table when he came home instead walking into a bomb sitte and coming home to tornado kirsty!

I wanted to be able to breath.

I wanted to be able to enjoy my weekends instead of spending one of the precious two days off preparing for the working week ahead.

I wanted more time.

I knew that I couldn't literally create more hours in the day, so instead, I chose, after careful discussions with my hubby,  to drop a day of work so that I could do all of the things that I felt like I was missing out on.

And you know what? It was one of the best choices that I have ever made.

1 whole extra day in my week.

And yup, I chose for that day to be Monday.

Just typing that sentence helps me to un whine from the early madness of my blog post (and former life!)

One whole day makes the BIGGEST difference.

I can spend my whole weekends doing "fun stuff" with my husband and friends, while knowing that the washing and house cleaning can wait until Monday.

I can potter down the deserted aisles of my local IGA, taking my time to pick the juciest smelling rock melon.

I have the luxury of reading the backs of packets for new recipes and going back down aisles already traveled to grab things I'd missed or needed to bring the creation to life.

I can go on lunch dates to the local bakery with my friends which I could never do before because I was never in my town during opening hours (I worked 40 minutes away in another town!)

I have time to sink my teeth into a good novel.

The rest of my week goes by quickly because there's only 4 days to get through before I have 3 off!

I feel organised; with washing folded and put away (not left In laundry baskets).

I can breath.

Of course, there were sacrifices that I chose to make.

Less work = less pay which meant that we'd have to tighten our budget a little, maybe the renovations wouldn't be done as quickly, perhaps I'd have to go without things. ..but what I've actually found is that we're saving more money because I'm using a day less of diesel to and from work, I have more time to cook meals with leftovers so that we can pack our lunch every day and we  eat out less at night time because our meals are planned ahead.

"Well you're lucky that you have that choice" I hear you say?"

"My job would never allow me!"

"But I have a mortgage to pay!"

All valid points, but we have a choice whether we discuss the option with our boss or not.

We have the choice whether we quit our jobs and find ones that are part time (as I did).

We have a choice to sell our expensive houses and reduce our mortgages so that it's an option.

We have a choice to go without certain things so that we can make it happen.

I believe that if it's something you really really want, then you'll find a way to make it all work.

I'm a big believer in questioning things just because we're told we have to or because it's the norm!

I'm a big believer in looking after our health and happiness and grabbing life by the balls.

I'm a big believer that money doesn't equal happiness.

And that is why I choose to work part time (even before kids!); because I really, really wanted more time.

Btw, there is more to life then "this".

Look after yourself and those around you,

Kirsty xxx

No comments: