Unspoken Conversations are the topics that are often swept under the carpet, whispered amongst the closest of friends and bitched about by many. I want to create awareness about difficult things that people face in life; grief, mental health, money, illnesses, family troubles, relationship difficulties and putting yourself first. I want to tell the truth about things that really matter.

Saturday 7 June 2014

The Weight of the World

Isn't it crazy how quickly we allow events in our lives to compound until we literally feel like we're carrying the weight of the world on our shoulders which is squeezing our chest and making it difficult to breath?

It may only be little mishaps, that at first, we don't pay too much attention too that all build up causing unwanted,  and sometimes,  unrecognized stress to factor into our lives.

It could be a bad hair day,  mixed with a comment from a colleague that catches you off guard which causes you to become a little defensive and then,  whoops a mistake that you wouldn't usually make with a clear thinking mind and then the Domino effect begins.

No matter how hard we try to balance the many plates of life sometimes we find ourselves swaying on one leg with 10 plates in one arm and 10 on our head.

Why is it that we let little things affect us much more then we'd ever even like ourselves to believe?

It really really sucks that sometimes,  cringe, it's not until we explode at someone,  or find ourselves swearing and cursing under our breaths, or eeekkk that horrible feeling of anxiety that we stop and realize just how much those little things are affecting our lives.

I realized this the other day when I was trying to decide whether the tightening of my chest was an oncoming menstrual cycle,  the fact that I'd just climbed stairs or whether I was a little more stressed then I'd allowed myself to believe.

I quickly realized that perhaps it was more the latter thing bothering me and that it was time to reassess the cause of my stresses.

At the end of the day,  if something is stressing you out so much that it's affecting your health then it's simply not worth it.

Fortunately a weekend away to remove myself from my normal routines and commitments was enough for me to be able to deep belly breath again without feeling like an elephant had taken permanent residence on my chest.

But this got me thinking;  how do other people cope when they're feeling stressed?

Do people recognize the early warning signs to avoid blurt outs and break downs?

One thing that I have learnt is to listen to your body. If your test is tighter then normal or you're having break outs or tummy troubles then you may be under more pressure and stress then you realize.

Take the time to acknowledge your feelings and reassess the causes so that you can live life with a clear mind and free flowing breath.

Look after yourself and those around you,

Kirsty xxx

No comments: