Unspoken Conversations are the topics that are often swept under the carpet, whispered amongst the closest of friends and bitched about by many. I want to create awareness about difficult things that people face in life; grief, mental health, money, illnesses, family troubles, relationship difficulties and putting yourself first. I want to tell the truth about things that really matter.

Saturday 21 July 2012

Why girls love all things romantic.

Mick and I enjoying a candlelight dinner the day that he popped the question!



Girls really aren't that complicated.

Honest.

I know most guys must scoff when they read this. I know that sometimes we may come across as super complicated, off this planet creatures (haha depending on the time off month and crazy busy life), but here's the secret...

I think the number one thing that girls appreciate is THOUGHT.

Take for example flowers. Girls love flowers. They don't have to be a $200 bunch of flowers delivered to your office by the local florist (although that would be muchly appreciated). Picking a bunch of flowers from the next door neighbours garden, or popping in to Woolworths on your way home from work and grabbing a $15 reduced bunch that you quickly rip the sticker off, is equally as appreciated.

Why? Because there was thought involved. The fact that you were thinking of your partner and then went out of your way to act upon those thoughts and buy her some flowers, which you know she loves, for no reason but because you love her and wanted to make her feel special, is what counts for a lady.


My gorgeous blingy bling!


Romance can mean different things to different people. Romance for some people could be going somewhere that has a special meaning or memory attached to it. For others it could be having tea cooked for them, or being given a back rub, or taking the time out of your busy schedule to take the dog for a work or to visit family.

Romance doesn't have to be expensive. It doesn't have to be elaborate. It could be hanging fairy lights in your backyard and cooking a candlelight dinner if you know that will be appreciated by your loved one.

Anything with preparation requires thought. Time and money is invested into special occasions to make sure that everything is perfect and special.


I guess that's why girls love romantic proposals (or anything romantic for that matter) because there's thought involved.



Our celebatory drink!

Mick outdone himself with a romantic proposal that I still brag about to friends and family!

My partner and I were together for 8 years before he popped the question.

We had been dodging the normal phrases and questions for years. "Always the bridesmaid, never the bride". "When are you going to make an honest woman of her". "So, you'll be next to walk down the aisle?"

The fact was, it took 8 years for us to become engaged because before that we were never ready. We always had other obstacles to jump first like long distance, living together, my Depression and buying a house.

Mick proposed on the 7th of January 2012.

A lovely Saturday drive from Cairns to Port Douglas for breakfast turned into the best day of my life.

I was wondering why Mick kept looking at his watch all morning and wouldn't let me eat a HUGE breakfast when we were hanging out in Port Douglas. I was starved. After complaining that I was still hungry after breakfast, Mick tried every distraction possible to take my mind off of it.

Mick suggested popping in to a resort just out of Port Douglas that his parents had been talking about to go for a swim BUT I wanted to go to the markets. The coax of pina coladas soon changed my mind. The resort it was.

Do you like Pina Coladas?

We slurped down our cocktails and then Mick suggested going for a walk down to the beach. Alarm bells started to ring. It wasn't like Mick to want to leave a bar to go for a walk...I got nervous butterflies. I quickly tried to sweep them aside. Don't be silly Kirst, there's no way he'd have a ring or would've organised anything. Just enjoy the day.

The gorgeous scenery in Far North Queensland!

I raced down to the beach and starting taking photos like the snap happy tourist that I was. As I was capturing the gorgeous palm trees, beaches and waves, Mick started to say some pretty nice things...I turned around to find Mick bending down on one knee!

The next couple of minutes included many "Oh my gods!" "And arrrr it's really happening" as well as many hugs, tears and nervous excitement.



Mick moments before proposing with the ring in his POCKET!
When he produced a ring that I had pointed out in a jewellery store I bawled my eyes out. It was perfect.


Pretty chuffed!

I quickly found out why he was constantly checking the time. A picnic had been set up on the beach for a 12 o'clock lunch. The picnic consisted of delicious prawns, crayfish, cheese and fruit platters and a bottle of wine that wasn't even Passion Pop (a super cheap wine that I was used to drinking!)


Our picnic and bottle of champers!

Mick and I were shaking from adrenaline.

Mick then further surprised me by dangling a key to a tree top bungalow overlooking the rain forest. He'd sneakily packed an overnight bag include some nice evening wear clothes so that we could go out in style and enjoy our first candlelight dinner as newly engaged love birds!


This is why Mick didn't want me to eat too much!

It was perfect.

I couldn't believe that he'd pulled it off without me knowing! And I couldn't believe how much planning must of gone in to the weekend. The fact that he had the ring, had packed my bag and later on, I found out that he'd been stashing money away into the couch for months to pay for the ring, made me the happiest girl alive.

It was the thought that went in to the proposal that made it even more special.



Excitement!

So guys, maybe it's time to add a little romance into your loved ones life. It doesn't matter if you've been dating for a month or whether you've been married for 20 years, it's never too late for a little romance.


Remember that it doesn't have to be anything BIG and ELABORATE and it doesn't have to burst your budget. Writing a little something on a sticky note and leaving it on the kitchen table, or making a nice comment on what your partner is wearing, or cooking dinner and telling her to kick back and relax on the couch, or taking her out to the movies, or going on a road trip somewhere that you haven't been before or visited in age, will make her feel special and happy and she'll brag about it to her friends for ages!

You'll definitely be in the good books and your partner will definitely have a massive spring in their step!





It's definitely the thought that counts.


(Ps girls, this isn't only for guys. Girls can also add romance into their relationship! Guys love back rubs, the movies, doing something special and being given love and affection too!)

Look after yourself and those around you,

Kirsty xxx


No comments: